« Schwarzenegger Threatens to Sue Over Bobblehead Doll |
| Valenti on the Little (Engineer/Linux User) People »
April 30, 2004
Free Speech? Not on the Gubernator's Watch
Counsel to Arnold Schwarzenegger sent a cease-and-desist letter threatening a lawsuit against the makers of a Schwarzenegger bobblehead doll. Seemingly oblivious to the fact that the Governor of California is a political public figure, the lawyers demand millions of dollars in compensatory and punitive damages for the "egregious and malicious" "use of Mr. Schwarzenegger's publicity rights."
Best of all, though is the letter's conclusion:
This is a confidential legal notice and may not be published, in whole or in part. Any republishing or dissemination of same, including but not limited to the posting of the contents hereof on the Internet, shall constitute copyright infringement and will subject the re-publisher(s) to civil liability for such actions.
You say infringement, I say fair use. Sorry, but I'm not chilled
Yes, it's a duplicate post, but you get a photo with this one!
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: IP Abuse
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Stageit Helps Artists Play for Fans, for a Price
- Kickstarter to Pay the Musicians
- Shortening the Long Tail
- Washington Post Surprised by Obvious Actions
- Is Pop Music Holding You Hostage?
- Beasties, Toys, and Fair Use
- Contract Royalties Plummet, Concert Income Grows
- MSF to TPP: Stop Attacking Access to Lifesaving Medicines