« TiVo's Pyrrhic Victory |
| The Induce Act - Surgically Enhanced »
August 6, 2004
A Spin-Spin Solution
HP and Philips, suggesting that the primary selling point of their Video Content Protection System (VCPS) is that it allows viewers to enjoy the benefits of FCC-mandated copy-controls without even knowing it:
VCPS provides a transparent solution for consumers -- there is no change in how the customer records and views their favorite TV program -- while automatically adhering to [FCC] regulations. [...]
"The result is VCPS, which is a win-win solution for the consumer, content providers and manufacturers."
So in the era of the tech mandate, the tech talent will stop with this "improving the product so the customer will buy it" nonsense. Instead, it will work on new and innovative ways to ensure that the viewing experience stays roughly the same, and that people don't notice the flexibility and features they've lost.
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Laws and Regulations
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Who Made That Music?
- This is More Like Going Steady
- Counting E-Book Sales is a Dark Art
- Or You Could Double Down on Being an Idiot
- Results Not Typical
- What Do You Do When You Discover You're a Copyright Thief?
- A Difference between Content and Carrier
- Nintendo Rolls Out Terrible Deal for YouTubers