« TiVo's Pyrrhic Victory |
| The Induce Act - Surgically Enhanced »
August 6, 2004
A Spin-Spin Solution
HP and Philips, suggesting that the primary selling point of their Video Content Protection System (VCPS) is that it allows viewers to enjoy the benefits of FCC-mandated copy-controls without even knowing it:
VCPS provides a transparent solution for consumers -- there is no change in how the customer records and views their favorite TV program -- while automatically adhering to [FCC] regulations. [...]
"The result is VCPS, which is a win-win solution for the consumer, content providers and manufacturers."
So in the era of the tech mandate, the tech talent will stop with this "improving the product so the customer will buy it" nonsense. Instead, it will work on new and innovative ways to ensure that the viewing experience stays roughly the same, and that people don't notice the flexibility and features they've lost.
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Laws and Regulations
- RELATED ENTRIES
- That Sound You Hear is the Anti-Neutrality Dam Breaking
- Having (Mostly) Failed with Authors, Amazon Makes a Pitch for the Readers
- And No Kill Switches, Either
- Uncle Amazon Knows What's Best for You (and Itself)
- Muddying the Natural (Patent) Waters
- Congress Restores Bulk Unlock Rights
- When is a Game a Clone?