« Copyright Balance Gone With the Wind? |
| Aren't There Any Terrorists Out There? »
October 28, 2004
NBC Chief to Congress: Please help save the Copyright Clause!
Who knew the Copyright Clause of the US Constitution was under attack?
Well, according to Robert Wright, Chair of NBC Universal, its in critical condition and needs help STAT!:
In Washington to accept a First Amendment award from the Media Institute, Wright, the dean of network chiefs, sent a message to legislators, regulators and whoever else was listening that his company is ready to lead the fight for copyright protection, saying the Copyright Clause is under "enormous pressure and requires our vigilant attention."
Wright said that technology, not legislation, is the best solution to intellectual property theft, but he also said that government needed to create "new rules of the road for the digital world...that encourage technological progress yet at the same time uphold the values that make commerce possible."
1. Support a house Judiciary Committee package of antipiracy bills "currently in limbo".
2. Find some compromise in the Senate Judiciary Committee on the so-called induce legislation targeted at peer-to-peer file sharing.
3. Support Attorney General John Ashcroft's proposed intellectual property protection recommendations.
Wow.. a First Amendment advocate supporting Ashcroft? Where can I get some of that Kool-aid?
mmm... Kool-aid... (tm!)
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Laws and Regulations
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Stageit Helps Artists Play for Fans, for a Price
- Kickstarter to Pay the Musicians
- Shortening the Long Tail
- Washington Post Surprised by Obvious Actions
- Is Pop Music Holding You Hostage?
- Beasties, Toys, and Fair Use
- Contract Royalties Plummet, Concert Income Grows
- MSF to TPP: Stop Attacking Access to Lifesaving Medicines