« Canadian Judge Issues Harry Potter Gag Order |
| More Schooling for Posner »
July 12, 2005
Patents "More Burden Than Benefit" at Venture Level
Venture capitalist Joi Ito blogs his feelings on the European rejection of software patents.
Ito has experience with companies in software, materials science and manufacturing technology and while he avers that he is a supporter of patents in general, he comes down as strongly opposed to software patents for innovative small companies. Ito points to the cost of getting and maintaining a patent portfolio (noting that a single patent is rarely sufficient) and judges that the risks of getting a patent signficantly outweigh the risks of not having them, for small (venture-funded) companies.
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: IP Use
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Subscription Services for Books
- Lest You Had Any Doubts, the ALA is on the Right Side Again
- Deadly Effects of Unaffordable Medicines (TPP)
- Planet Money on the Case Against Patents
- FMC + Musicians vs FCC on Net Neutrality
- Be the Potato Salad
- These Businesses and Corporations are Not Your Friends
- Aereo Loses